- University of Florida College of Law, J.D., with honors
- Georgetown University, M.A., Security Studies
- United States Naval Academy, B.S., with distinction
Bar and Court Admissions
- The Florida Bar
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
Michael H. Harmon
Mike is a trial lawyer in the firm’s healthcare and litigation practice groups, concentrating in the defense of medical malpractice claims involving catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death.
He represents hospitals and individual healthcare providers in matters involving Florida’s Neurological Injury Compensation Act (NICA), the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) and licensure (physician and nurse). He also provides expertise in Amendment 7 and in healthcare regulations, including peer review and regulatory issues.
Hospital clients turn to Mike and his team to analyze potential medical malpractice incidents and help them navigate state investigations. Since hospitals only have 15 days to report an incident, time is of the essence. As part of the firm’s rapid response team, he doesn’t waste time to get the ball rolling in these critical cases.
Mike’s practice also includes trucking and construction personal injury and premises liability claims. He also represents trucking and construction companies in matters involving the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and criminal issues as part of the investigation of a potential personal injury or wrongful death claim.
In addition, Mike provides expertise in risk management issues, advising companies regarding compliance with statutes and regulations to prevent claims. He also has experience in lien resolution, appeals, insurance coverage disputes and defense issues, and general commercial litigation.
Mike earned the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) Advocate designation which demonstrates advocacy skills, including taking and defending depositions and oral advocacy expertise. This unique distinction requires several weeks of intensive, hands-on training including extensive time in the courtroom.
Clients speak highly of Mike’s superior attention to detail and efficiency. No matter the complexity of a matter, he doesn’t leave a stone unturned and ensures every “i” is dotted and every “t” is crossed. He’s a team leader who understands the importance of balancing thoroughness with time management.
Prior to law school, Mike served as a Naval Intelligence Officer in the F/A-18 community. In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his family, fly fishing in the mountains, and cheering on the Florida Gators and Jacksonville Jaguars.
Representation of the regional components of a national healthcare system — including hospitals and physician practice groups — in medical malpractice cases, particularly those involving catastrophic injuries or death, and in administrative claims brought by governmental agencies.
Representation of a regional hospital system with more than 1,100 beds in medical malpractice cases, particularly those involving catastrophic injuries or death.
Representation of hospitals in responding to requests for documents pursuant to Amendment 7 of the Florida Constitution, including as trial counsel in the Charles case.
Representation of a national home builder and Fortune 500 company in premises liability and construction accident claims, starting with the immediate investigation of catastrophic injuries and deaths and going through trial.
- Chambers & Partners Band 2, Litigation: Medical Malpractice Defense – Jacksonville (2023)
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) Advocate
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Chester Bedell Inn of Court, master
- Defense Research Institute
- Federalist Society
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- Florida Society for Healthcare Risk Management & Patient Safety
- Fourth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee (2012-2015)
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- United States Naval Academy (USNA) Alumni Association, Jacksonville Chapter
- Member, Trial Law Institute
- Member, Diversity Law Institute