- Stetson University College of Law, J.D.
- Stetson University, B.S.
Bar and Court Admissions
- The Florida Bar
Stephen D. Busey
Steve is chairman of the firm and head of its Litigation Department. Steve is a trial lawyer, with his practice centered on complex commercial litigation and insolvency matters. Steve has a successful record in extended jury trials in major business disputes.
Steve represents plaintiffs and defendants in contract, business torts and corporate governance disputes. His insolvency experience includes lead representation of debtors and creditors in chapter 11 reorganizations of publicly held companies. He is experienced in bankruptcy litigation throughout Florida.
He is also experienced in sports litigation and league governance disputes. Steve was instrumental in drafting uniform anti-corruption rules, procedures, penalties and investigative process for each of the governing bodies of professional tennis.
Steve is a former chair of the Special Study Commission of The Florida Bar. During his tenure, the Commission proposed to the Florida Supreme Court the Rules of Professional Conduct that govern all members of The Florida Bar.
Steve’s legal work in litigation and bankruptcy has been nationally recognized. Best Lawyers in America has named him “Jacksonville Lawyer of the Year “ on four occasions and he has been named as one of the top 100 lawyers in the state of Florida by Florida Super Lawyers.
Best Lawyers in America
- Lawyer of the Year (2012, 2014, 2015, 2018)
- Leader in their Field: Bankruptcy & Restructuring; Litigation: General Commercial
- Florida Trend Legal Elite
Florida Super Lawyers
- Top 100 Florida Lawyers
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Turnaround of the Year - Mega Company (2007)
- American College of Bankruptcy, fellow
- Chester Bedell Inn of Court, emeritus
- Episcopal School of Jacksonville Board of Trustees
- Jacksonville Bar Association, former president
- Jacksonville Port Authority, former chair
- The Florida Bar, former chair of Business Law Section
- The Florida Bar's Special Study Commission on the Rules of Professional Conduct, former chair