Smith Hulsey & Busey shareholder Chris Dix moderated a panel discussion among privacy professionals at the 8th Annual E-Discovery Conference hosted by the University of Florida Levin College of Law. The virtual event on March 18 brought together national and international experts to examine practical e-discovery strategies in litigation.
Dix moderated a session titled “Privacy Pandemic!: How recent changes in privacy laws and the global COVID-19 crisis are impacting e-discovery.” The discussion focused on how e-discovery has been impacted by the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR),the California Consumer Protection Act, and the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Brian Corbin, Executive Director, Assistant General Counsel, JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Kenya Parrish-Dixon, General Counsel and Chief Operating Officer of Empire Technologies Risk Management Group
- Taylor Hoffman, Senior Legal Counsel-Head eDiscovery Management (SVP) at Swiss Re
- Debbie Reynolds, Founder, CEO and Chief Data Privacy Officer of Debbie Reynolds Consulting LLC
The conference had more than 2,000 registrants from around the world and covered the following aspects of e-discovery:
- The initial assessment process
- Collaboration and negotiation strategies
- Collection challenges from today’s evolving devices and data sources
- Basic and advanced search techniques
- Maximizing document review speeds and accuracy
The conference also featured a judicial panel and an e-discovery case law panel.
Dix is a technology-focused attorney who advises clients regarding e-discovery, privacy, cybersecurity and data breach issues. He is also a sports lawyer with experience litigating league governance disputes and investigating and prosecuting professional athletes involved in match-fixing and other types of sports corruption. Dix is a licensed CPA in Florida and earned the CEDS designation from ACEDS, was co-founder and President of ACEDS Jacksonville, and is a member of the Sedona WG1 Brainstorming Group on Discovery Sanctions.Follow us on for more content updates